Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations networked together in more than 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. We aim to empower people to create a future that is secure, just, and free from poverty
Economic Development Manager
DIVISION / DEPARTMENT / LOCATION: International/Programme/Gaza
JOB FAMILY: Programme
SALARY: 107,376 ILS Gross per annum
To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering TEAM PURPOSE:
- People in deepest poverty in the West Bank and Gaza are able to exercise their rights to be healthy, educated and secure and these are respected, sustained and upheld.
- To act with poor people as a force for change in addressing the causes of poverty, suffering, and injustice, and alleviating their symptoms.
To manage the Danida Economic Recovery in the Gaza Strip project in Gaza through a partnership approach, and to strengthen team and partners technical capacity to deliver the objectives of the project.
Post holder reports to: Gaza Programme Manager
Staff reporting to this post: 3 Economic Development Officers
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: TBC
- Providing leadership of project team. Set and lead the delivery of the specified project action plan and team objectives.
- Plan and manage human and financial resources and processes related to specific project and/or area of expertise.
- Plan and implement project plans and ensure proper reporting and accountability to multilateral and bilateral donors and partners.
- Strong technical understanding and leadership of project cycle activities
- Produce, assimilate, analyse and use project information from varied and diverse sources to provide analysis on specific issues, problems and opportunities.
- Contribute to improving the quality of Oxfam Economic Justice work and overall sectorial impact.
- With close support from the Gaza Programme Manager, and Oxfam’s External Economic Development Advisor, provide effective Management of Danida Economic Recovery in Gaza Strip project
- Utilising a partnership approach, manage implementation of project activities in the Food Processing, Dairy & ICT sectors in Gaza, providing partner organisations with support where required.
- Developing and encouraging linkages between producer groups and other market actors (wholesalers, processors);
- In collaboration with other senior staff, work to integrate programmes with Food Security programming in particular, to ensure that programmes are working towards achieving same aims and leveraging impact and mutually reinforcing.
- Work with relevant sector representative organisations in developing structures that will support members in terms of enabling environment.
- Through a participatory approach, support the development of a Local Economic Development (LED) strategy for the Gaza Strip.
- Maintain linkages and coordination mechanisms with relevant local and international stakeholders.
- Ensure that the team, with support from the Funding Officer, meet all donor requirements in reporting and compliance
- Increase partner participation , design quality capacity building plans for partners, and facilitate a true partnership with those with whom we work, specifically building skills in disaster response and preparedness based on humanitarian standards
- Ensure qualitative programmatic implementation, through appropriate use of Oxfam tools related to monitoring & evaluation; gender; active citizenship; accountability and governance, monitoring progress and budgeting on a monthly basis
- Performance-manage all direct line reports including development and coaching of staff
- Identify and support staffing needs, including recruitment
- Ensure compliance with OGB’s monitoring, evaluation and learning expectations and approaches
- Plan and arrange monitoring meetings with partners and steering committee such as Quarterly reviews, Steering Committee and budget approval meetings
- Work with Oxfam’s External Economic Development Advisor in terms of the support offered on business development, marketing planning and delivery and staff mentoring and wherever the technical consultant has a designated role
- Manage financial aspects of the project ensuring that partner and Oxfam spending is in line with budget
- As a member of the Gaza Senior Management Team provide leadership to the overall operation of the programme within the framework of Oxfam’s overall programme in the occupied Palestinian Territories
- Contribute to improving the quality of Oxfam Economic Justice work and overall sectorial impact by contributing to the monitoring and evaluation process for the project and to enhancing coordination in the project’s target sectors.
- Support Economic Justice team in the development of new concepts and proposals and reporting to donor and contribute to Oxfam International’s (OI) wider local economic development policies and strategies.
- Be prepared to undertake other duties related to Oxfam’s programme as and when required by the PM
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Master’s Degree from a recognised university in Economics, Development Economics or Business Administration or any other related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in economic recovery/development programs within a fragile context.
- Understanding and knowledge of economic recovery principles in development context.
- Experience in urban contexts.
- Proven experience of market systems development and Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) approaches.
- Experience of conducting and analysing needs assessments.
- Exposure to business start up initiatives
- Experience in management and capacity building of partners and teams in complex contexts.
- Experience of budgeting, supporting partners in budgeting and in cash forecasting
- Experience in procurement activities and procedures
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity into programme strategies.
- Good assessment, analytical, monitoring and evaluating and planning skills and project management skills to enable programme delivery.
- Good verbal and written communications skills and the ability to relate to people from all backgrounds.
- Experience of producing donor reports
- Good written and spoken English.
- Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and sensitivity and experience in working within different cultural contexts requiring cultural sensitivity.
- Well developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations and ability to work under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Oxfam.
- To be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct and with the Sphere Humanitarian Charter and Minimum standards.
- Experience of working with local partners in a post emergency/developmental contexts
- Knowledge of other sectors – such as Food Security, Water, Sanitation and Public Health
Relevant practical experience in the following sectoral areas of focus: o Economics and Market Systems Development o Policy and Advocacy
Date of issue: May 2015
apply now : https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/economic-development-manager---danida-project-int2469/4177/description/
-------------------------------------------- Google Ads --------------------------------------------