Facilitating development of urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture in Gaza strip for the local market
Country: Occupied Palestinian territory
Duty station: Gaza Strip
Ngo: Oxfam Italia
Department: Cooperation to Development and Humanitarian Aid
Position: Value Chains Development Specialist - Process Technologist for the related activities of the project Facilitating development of urban and peri-urban Agriculture in Gaza strip for the local market funded by the Swill Agency for development and cooperation (SDC)
Duration:12 month starting from 01/08/2015, with possibility of renewal
Salary: the salary level will be determined according to candidates skills, qualifications and previous experience. This vacancy intends to attract national candidates.
Oxfam Italia is an independent NGO established in Italia (Arezzo) at the beginning of the 70s and now working in more than ten developing countries. Oxfam Italia is born from the experience of UCODEP, an Italian NGO for over 30 years committed in the struggle against poverty and injustice. Oxfam Italia is the Italian member within the Oxfam International Confederation, the fourth international coalition in the world specialized in humanitarian aid and development programmes.
Economic and gender justice, access to basic services, active citizenship and governability, as well as humanitarian aid are the axes that guide Oxfam Italias intervention, coherently with the values of justice, human dignity, democracy, solidarity, engagement and simplicity.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The Gaza Urban and Peri-urban Agriculture (G/UPA) project aims at the institutional, socio-economic and technical development of a strong sub-sector of (market oriented) urban and peri-urban agriculture in the Gaza Strip with an overall project objective that will increase income and employment of small-scale men and women urban and peri-urban agriculture producers in Gaza as well as of service providers and other market actors) that deal with small scale producers. It will do so through a facilitated pro-poor, business oriented and empowering zero-distribution approach, emphasizing the development /strengthening of small-scale producer groups, service-input providers and other local chain platforms as three of the key market players/chain actors.
Responsibilities will focus on the project activities that will be implemented in the Gaza Strip:
- In coordination with the rest of Local Gaza Team (LGT) be responsible for organizational development and capacity building of supporting service/input delivery groups and/or micro-enterprise;
- Gather information on past and current projects on Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture (UPA) and selected Value Chains;
- Support research on quality control and standards, cold storage, improved processing and packaging techniques and materials in the selected chains
- Facilitate the awareness raising, information and capacity development of service suppliers in quality control, improved storage and processing, packaging and labeling; support development of information materials
- Support/ readjust project interventions in line with markets changes in the Gaza agricultural system identifying systemic market changes and constraints that need to be addressed
- Identify and facilitate the formation of service/input delivery groups and/or business associations of micro-enterprises for the selected value chain.
- Engage with service/input delivery groups and/or business associations of micro-enterprises in Participatory Technology Development (PTD) processes for innovation of their service delivery practices as well as for learning and exchanging technical insights and experience among different groups and micro-enterprises with the support of the Project Management Unit (PMU);
- Coordinate the activities of different service/input delivery groups and/or business associations of micro-enterprises in the same or different food and value chains and facilitate their participation in specific local platforms for UPA;
- Coordinate and link-up with training organizations to build different capacities of in organizational issues, market analysis, access to micro-credit, value chain development and business development from a producer point of view;
- Assist service/input delivery groups and/or business associations of micro-enterprises in getting represented in the G/UPA Platform;
- Facilitate and/or conduct action research in relevant technical topics and development of UPA service/input delivery groups and/or business associations of micro-enterprises, as well as facilitating or conducting action research concerning value chains and management to improve products or processes;
- Advise service/input delivery groups and/or business associations of micro-enterprises about improved and relevant UPA inputs, products and techniques that could enhance their production and marketing efforts;
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
A strong project manager, capable to facilitate complex processes by building an efficient working environment, conducive to the achievement of highly challenging expectations and results.
-At least 3 years working experience, out of which two in project programming and management;
-At least a BSc degree in a field relevant to the position
-Substantial experience and skills in participatory facilitation and negotiation of stakeholder processes;
-Previous experience with NGOs;
-Specific experience with local governance processes constitutes a strong asset;
-Experience with Dates & dairy value chain analysis and development is a must;
-Experience in identifying solutions to value chain finance along the selected value chains;
-Substantial experience in capacity building with participatory approaches;
-Strong experience in representing an organization with partners, government agencies, private sector organizations, and donors;
-Exposure to business development projects linking relief, rehabilitation and development;
-Very well organized and capable to manage his/her own time with minimum supervision;
-Good report writing skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills;
-Fluency in English and Arabic languages (written and spoken) is a must;
-Proactive aptitude in terms of planning and coordination with different bodies; target oriented and problem solving aptitude;
-Able to deliver clear, organized and efficient messages in meetings and public events;
-Experience in team building, conflict resolution, ensuring participation, promoting mutual respect and active listening;
-Diplomatic and confidentiality skills;
-An active commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of an organizations work;
-Excellent IT skills on MS Office applications;
Interested candidates should send their CV, the details of 3 people who will serve as professional references, letter of motivation, all in English/Arabic, before 29th July 2015 to:
Please specify in the subject: Process Technologist_SDC_name_surname
Candidates will be short-listed according to their CVs coherence with the required profile. Only selected candidates will be called for interviews and selection tests.
please, do not submit your application if your skills and qualifications dont comply with the required ones. This will facilitate and speed up the selection process.
Oxfam Italia promotes equal opportunity for its job vacancies and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy and medical condition.
-------------------------------------------- Google Ads --------------------------------------------