TOR: Civil Engineer consultant | Job Title: Civil Engineer consultant | Organization: War Child | Job Location: Gaza- Occupied Palestinian Territory (oPt) | Starting date + period: 15 August 2015 – 4 months
Reporting: Program Development Manager (PDM)
War Child (WC) is an independent and impartial international non-governmental child right’s organization investing in a peaceful future for children and young people affected by armed conflict. We strive to empower children and young people, while enabling adults to bring about positive and lasting change in the lives of conflict affected children and young people. WC has been working in the oPt since 2004, and has an office in Jerusalem and in Gaza.
Scope of Work
Within the framework of the two projects ‘Provision of gender sensitive child protection services and vital psychosocial support to displaced and vulnerable children in Gaza’ and ‘You lead (safe places for children to play)’ War Child is seeking a Civil Engineer (Consultant). The project will target various locations to be identified later. The opportunity will be to work in Gaza for a period of 4 months to support the implementation of minor rehabilitation activities in selected worksites in different Gaza regions.
The work should be performed in accordance with international standards specifically Minimum standards for child protection in humanitarian action, Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP) and Sphere. WC will brief the consultant before the signature of the contract on specific standards.
The consultant will be responsible for the following duties:
-Conducting needs assessment for each work site.
-Preparing bills of quantities and technical specifications for the needed materials and tools for each work site.
-Following up and evaluating bidding documents and participate in the process of selection of construction firms.
-Supervising the implementation of rehabilitation activities s on the project sites, preparing weekly and monthly reports on the activity progress.
-Tracking time schedule and the execution of the implementation plan of each site.
-Participating in the final inspection committee and the handover of the re-habilitated sites.
-Reviewing the quality assurance, child safety and health plans adhering to the Project specified requirements.
• Bachelors of Science degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university.
• Registered in the engineers syndicate.
• At least 3 years’ experience working on small/ medium scale civil engineering construction projects.
• Past experience in rehabilitation activities is essential.
• Fluency in written English and Arabic language skills are required.
• Interpersonal and communication skills, technical reports writing skills, working knowledge of engineering and MS office applications.
• Ability to works in team and under pressure.
Interested candidates are invited to send their CV (including contact details of the last two references) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 7 August 2015. Please write “Civil Engineer Consultant’ in the subject of the email. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Expected starting date is 15 August 2015.
The consultant shall submit a detailed monthly remuneration fee that includes all costs ( health insurance, printing, taxes, etc...). WC will provide transport from the office to the different locations, office space for the consultant but all other expenses ought to be covered in the fee. WC will pay the agreed upon fee in two instalments:
• After the tenders have been evaluated.
• In ten days of the delivery of approved WC final inspection report.
The Consultant will be based in Gaza with frequent travel to the different project locations in Gaza. Potentially a third project will be added and will be within the same time frame with no additional remuneration.
Commitment to the vision and goals of War Child Holland including adherence to the Child Safety Policy is required. Examples include:
• Ensure Child Safety and protection against potential risk at construction site; at the commencement of construction and proof clearing the site for child safety after completion of construction.
• Resist from engagements of children (persons below the age of 18) as workers in the construction.
• Keep the safety of children at primary consideration throughout the duration of the contract.
-------------------------------------------- Google Ads --------------------------------------------