Job Title: Hygiene Promoter (2 posts) | Work Base: Gaza Strip | Project title: Meeting emergency water, sanitation, hygiene and child protection needs of 7’663 children in 10 primary schools by December 2015.
Reporting to: WASH Officer
Duration: 8 months
Background and General Responsibilities
Terre des hommes (Tdh) Foundation in partnership with Swiss Solidarity, Ville de Genève and other donors implements an emergency project titled “Meeting emergency water, sanitation, hygiene and child protection needs of 7’663 children in 10 basic schools by December 2015” in the area of Gaza and Gaza North Governorates. This project is implemented in partnership with Beit Lahiya Development Association and Fares Al-Arab for Development and Charity Works.
This 13-month project specifically targets school children where their schools were affected during the latest war on Gaza in the areas of Gaza and North Gaza Governorates. The aim of this project is to meet the immediate water, sanitation, hygiene and child protection needs of 7’663 children in 10 primary and basics schools by December 2015. To achieve this goal, Tdh has started rehabilitation of WASH facilities in 10 governmental schools, and will provide the selected schools with hygiene materials.
Hygiene promotion activities are an important component of the project; Tdh, with its partners, will implement activities that aim to increase awareness and strengthen hygiene practices amongst school children through active participation and involvement of school children and school staff.
As part of the project intervention, the Hygiene Promoter (HP) participates in the implementation of TDH activities related to Hygiene promotion; to safeguard and improve the public health of the school children by:
- Developing hygiene promotion activity framework based on a pre-KAP assessment and the use of effective sanitation and hygiene promotion technology, to be implemented in 10 MoEHE schools
- Promoting safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services;
- Ensuring appropriate involvement of representatives of the MoEHE, local Directorates, school counselors and school principals; in the design and delivery of essential hygiene promotion interventions.
Working closely with the WASH Officer and under his/her supervision; the HP will ensure the good implementation of the project activities in respect of its objectives.
Specific tasks related to project:
- Assess the needs and resources required for hygiene promotion activities, together with the WASH officer and other team members, and jointly plan an appropriate response.
- Plan, design and manage the implementation of a detailed (framework) for hygiene promotion measures to address priority public health risks according to the pre-KAP assessment.
- Develop/adapt hygiene promotion tools and techniques and IEC materials for use of school children in close cooperation with WASH officer, MoEHE and other partners.
- Develop interactive, participatory tools for hygiene promotion; and use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the program cycle.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities are in line with the planned framework and ensure correct and on-time implementation of activities.
- Coordinate the distribution of students’ hygiene kits.
- Conduct hygiene promotion campaigns, sports competitions and open day’s activities.
- Organize information meetings with students committees to develop their knowledge in terms of water quality and hygienic practices.
- Asses and update the project intervention needs.
- Participate in the design and implementation of WASH assessments, surveys or any other project identification studies in collaboration and coordination with the WASH officer.
- Work closely with representatives of the MoEHE, local Directorates, school counselors and school principals and NGO partners.
- Maintain a network of useful contacts for a strong collaboration between the main actors and stakeholders.
- Participate in weekly base coordination meetings
- Write internal weekly activity report
- Carry out any other duties as requested by the Office Manager.
Communication and reporting
- Prepare weekly and monthly activity reports including references to project advancements, obstacles faced and measures taken or proposed to overcome them.
- Provide comprehensive reports and documentation to WASH Officer on regular basis;
- Commit to respect the Tdh or partner’s security plan and to collaborate to its updating.
- To maintain a constant observation of the security situation and to report every security incidents to the project manager in a timely manner.
Child Protection Policy
- Commit to respect the Tdh Child Protection Policy and principles of child protection.
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Child Protection Policy in oPt.
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Child Protection Policy.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in public health or any other Health related education
- Solid experience in public awareness and hygiene promotion activities
- Minimum 3 years proven relevant field experience in hygiene promotion context in the Gaza Strip.
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking Arabic and English
- Proved experience in hygiene promotion campaigns.
- Experience in working with school children
- Knowledge of hygiene promotion tools and methods
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure
Interested candidates may send their CV and covering letter to Fares Al Arab association
Email: email@example.com no later than Thursday April 23rd at 2:00pm.
-------------------------------------------- Google Ads --------------------------------------------